Friday, June 12, 2009

Joy in the simple things


Yes, it has been a while since I blogged anything. It has been a very trying time for me. The fork in the road I was looking at before, became a major interchange! Well I have almost maneuvered through it all. Still got a few humps to iron out.
But that is not what inspired me to write.
The kids are out of school. The weather has been, to say the least, a little unstable. One day it is hot and the next we have thunderstorms. To make plans for outdoor activities has been a little challenging. So my daughter got up the other morning and said she wanted to do something different with the kids. After a lot of ideas and discussion, we all decided to go fishing! My daughter loaded all the poles and gear and got the kids dressed. I packed us a lunch for all of us. Off we went. It was a nice drive. Just on the other side of town,actually. But a far removed little place. It didn't really matter. We knew the kids would probably not catch anything. It was the experience that counted.
I really was really enjoying the drive. I had no real idea where we were going. But it was exciting anyway. We traveled down one long road, tall green grass and little water ways could be seen from the road. It was like a breath of fresh air. As we passed on tall grassy area, my little three year old grand daughter shouts, "look at the big rabbits"! I looked in the direction she was pointing and saw, to my surprise, four deer in the tall grass. And yes they did look like big rabbits, to a three year old. They had long ears and white tails! How cute is that?! I wish I had my camera. That would make a great little addition to a summer scrap book.
We made it to our little fishing hole. It was a quiet little place . There were cattle wandering about and lots of water birds. It was just a little quiet place. We set up camp. My daughter started hooking the worms on the poles for the kids, while I took the kids to the shore to do a little exploring. It was a really good time.
Needless to say, our fishing excursion was cut short by a thunderstorm rolling through, but a lot of stress relief, just the same. And no fish were injured during this trip. As a matter a fact, I think the kids chased all the fish away by throwing rocks in to the water as they had their poles resting on the shore.
I really enjoyed watching them just be kids. We are definitely going to do it more often this summer. Hopefully, I will remember to bring the camera.

0 comments: